Touch-enabled and cloud-based productivity suite
Microsoft Office 2013 is the new version of the well-known productivity package developed by Microsoft. Compared to the 2010 release, it includes several enhancements, fixes and new features that will turn user’s experience into a richer one. However, there is one characteristic that stands out from the rest, compatibility with Cloud services. Now, users will be able to store their documents online, sync their Microsoft accounts between different devices and work with their Office files no matter where they are. Microsoft Office 2013 works in tablets, smartphones and computers that do not have Office installed. The only thing users have to do is get connected to the Net and use ‘Office on Demand’. There, users will be allowed to run by free Word, Excel, Access, Publisher and PowerPoint.
Nevertheless, some criticism has arisen for diverse reasons. First, the fact that Microsoft Office 2013 does no longer support Windows XP operating system. Second, the disappearance of Office 2007 and Office 2010 chart styles. Third, the removal of some relevant Outlook functionalities, like Outlook Activities tab or Outlook Mobile Service (OMS). And finally, this suite has also removed Microsoft SharePoint Workspace, Microsoft Clip Organizer and Microsoft Office Picture Manager.
This software, as always, includes Word, PowerPoint, Publisher, Outlook, Excel, OneNote and Access applications. But they all have in common a new characteristic; they provide a much cleaner and optimized design for touchscreen devices and full compatibility with cloud services. Word is by far, one of the most popular programs of the suite. Now, it offers an improved ‘Read Mode’ aimed to provide an ‘E-Reader’ feeling, by removing toolbars and thus, distractions too. Besides, one of the most appreciated enhancements is the possibility of opening and editing PDFs.
Excel adds a time-saving functionality called ‘Flash Fill’. It’s a data assistant that will detect what you are willing to do, and will enter the rest of the content (considering some pre-established behavior patterns). This way, you can forget about macros or extra formulas of auto-fill. Also, each spreadsheet has now its own window, which allows working with several ones at the same time. Moreover, through ‘Chart recommendations’ you will be recommended the chart that suits best with your data.
Now, Outlook supports ‘Exchange Active Sync’, characteristic that will make it possible to receive notifications from social networks like Flickr. PowerPoint improves projection views and presentations set-up, widens shapes, themes and transitions variety, and includes more zoom capabilities. Finally, OneNote, Publisher and Access have gone through changes as well, but not as significant as those previously mentioned.
Microsoft Office 2013 15.0.4805.1003 Features
The unique features of the new version of this productivity suite are the following:
- Tablets, smartphones, and even PCs with no Office installed are supported
- Automatically upgraded
- Sharing files is much easier: all the possible options are joined in File > Share
- Users can hold ‘Shared Meetings’
- Enhanced ‘Open’ and ‘Save As’ options: now there is no need to browse and scroll dialog boxes to select them
- Cloud service integration allowing sharing files and saving them in SkyDrive with around 20GB devoted to storage Interface ‘Metro’ style: it keeps ribbon appearance and adds touch-enabled controls
- Users can choose between recent files or different templates at the moment they get started: now they won’t have a default blank file
- Microsoft Office 2013 performance can be complemented with an Office 365 subscription-based, the most familiar and Internet-oriented package
If you want to read further information about Microsoft Office 2013 before you decide to download it, you can feel free to visit the developer’s official site.
System Requirements for a correct download and installation
The minimum system requirements for the download and setup of Microsoft Office 2013 are listed below:
- Operating System: Windows Server 2008 R2 or later
- CPU: 1GHz or a faster one
- RAM: 1GB for 32-bit and 2GB for 64bit
- HDD: 3GB of free space
- Graphic card compatible with DirectX 10
- 1024x576 screen resolution